Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Valentine's Day Is Near!

What are you planning on doing for Valentine's Day?  I know that my husband and I will most likely be staying in and cooking something yummy!  On our first Valentine's Day together I was a senior in high school and my husband was living in a college apartment.  I went over to his apartment and we ate frozen chicken cordon bleu and corn together.  We had a bottle of Château Morrisette wine.  I will never forget sitting on the sofa eating together! 

For the past 8 years, my husband and I have put a cap on Valentine's Day presents.  This year, I am thinking that we can spend $15.00 on each other.  You may be thinking what can you get for $15.00?  Well, here is what I do.  I enjoy making up a scavenger hunt for my husband.  I buy small things to hide.  Here are some things that I have bought in the past:  a $5.00 gift card to McDonalds (or some other fast food establishment), a $5.00 Blockbuster gift card, candy (I use coupons), a bag of good coffee, etc.  I then make some coupons (free presents!).  You can be as creative as you want with these but here are some ideas:  good for sleeping in one Saturday morning, breakfast in bed, a massage, a guy’s night out without any gripping from the wife, anything you want, etc. 

After I have bought everything and made all the coupons, I then decide how I'm going to do my scavenger hunt.  I print off clues which help my husband go from point A to point B.  I initially give him a Valentine's Day Card with the first clue in it.  Doing a scavenger hunt is so much fun that I believe my husband enjoys it more than anything!  It is also very funny to watch him wonder around the house looking for his gifts!

My husband and I usually buy something small for the children.  We will probably do that again this year and put a $10.00 cap on each child.  I'm not sure if the 3 month old needs a Valentine's Day present!  If you try out the scavenger hunt, let me know.  I would love to hear how it went! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great idea Reba...I was thinking of some ways to save on valentines day because I think I am going to spend enough for my moms Bday. The scavenger hunt sounds great now I just got to think of some gifts to hide...Ill let you know how it goes