Thursday, February 17, 2011

Strep is taking over my house!

Today is my 3rd day out of work because of sick children.  I WANNA SCREAM!  I'm ready to get back to work.  I love staying home with my children, especially when they aren't sick! 

Last night I fixed a Greek Chicken and Rice Soup to help heal us all!  Here is the recipe.  I got this recipe out of a church cookbook:

Avgholemono

1/3 cup uncooked white rice
1 qt. chicken broth
2 large eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups finely diced chicken

I made my own chicken broth for this recipe.  I placed a package of chicken legs (frozen) into a pot of water and added onions, salt, and salt and pepper.  I fill the pot up with water and let the chicken boil away for about 1 hour.  The chicken was falling off the bone after it boiled that long, so it was easy to dice up/shred for the soup.  I put the chicken in a container, separate from the broth.  I then strained the broth and put it back on the stove.  I placed the rice in the broth and cooked for about 15-20 minutes or until it was finished.  I then mixed the 2 large eggs together in a bowl and slowly added the lemon juice.  I then slowly whisked together 1 cup of the chicken broth to the egg mixture (that's called tempering).  I then added the egg mixture into the pot of soup and cooked for about 2 minutes with the lid on it (make sure it doesn't boil!).  I then added the chicken and cooked until everything was hot. 

My husband and I found that this soup was a little bland, so we added this:



This soup is a good alternative to your regular canned chicken noodle soup!  I hope you give it a try!  You can always search the web for other recipes for Avgholemono!

No comments: