Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

Saturday night I did my first attempt at making Baked Potato Soup.  I think it turned out great, but was VERY thick!  I believe that the recipe I used called for WAY too much flour.  Next time I make this, I'm going to cut back the flour!  I also used 16oz of bacon rather than 12 oz.  We LOVE bacon so the more the better! 

Ingredients (changed a little from the original recipe): 
16 oz of bacon
2/3 cup butter
1/2 onion chopped
4 green onions sliced
1/3 cup flour
4 large baking potatoes, cooked in microwave, skin removed & cut up
1 cup sour cream
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
7 cups of milk
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese


Cook bacon.  Set aside, drain fat, and crumble when cool.  In large pot melt butter and cook yellow onions.  Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and green onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.  If the soup is too thick, add more milk.  Enjoy! 

P.S.  My kids did not like this meal.  I'm not sure why, because they eat all of the ingredients. It could have been that they were just so tired that nothing was going to please them.  They did end up going to bed immediately after dinner (7:15pm) since they were so grouchy!

Source:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Potato-Soup-I/Detail.aspx

No comments: