Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Shopping Trip & Dinner

It is .  I just got all the kids into bed and I'm finally sitting down to relax.  My husband is gaming, so I decided to update my blog! 

My husband and three of our four kids went grocery shopping this morning.  We went to Food Lion first to hit up two of their deals!  We got Gain laundry detergent for $2.99 and Charmin Double Roll for $3.49.  I had a $1.00 off coupon for the Gain and $0.50 for the toilet paper!  I was super excited about these deals!

We then went to Kroger and bought $67.00 worth of groceries.  We saved $29.00 with coupons and store savings!  My husband and I found 2% Milk marked down to $1.59.  We grabbed up 3 gallons!  The milk doesn't go out of date for 4 days!  We also got to Kroger around and got a few of the marked down meats, one of which we cook for dinner tonight!

We fixed Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry for dinner.  I remember my parents fixing this from time to time growing up.  I called my dad today on the way to the store to get directions on how to fix it.

2 tbsp Corn Starch
2 tbsp fresh ginger (pulse into very small pieces)
2 tbsp veg oil
1/4 cup soy sauce (sodium free or it will be VERY salty)
1 head of broccoli florets cut up
1 onion sliced
1 lb beef (flank steak or some type of tender cut) sliced thin

Heat oil in skillet on stove.  Place the corn starch in a bowl with the ginger.  Then place the sliced beef in the bowl and coat.  Put beef into skillet and cook until brown.  Then add in broccoli, onions, and soy sauce and mix.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes.  I serve this on a bed of brown rice.  I have a picture to post, but my computer is not letting me copy the pictures from my card to the computer.  I'll get my husband to help and hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon!

My kids did not like the meal.  I'm not sure why, but we don't cook with raw ginger much and we also don't use soy sauce often.  I think the mixture of flavors upset their taste buds!  My husband and I enjoyed it.

No comments: