Sunday, January 9, 2011

Corned Beef, Cabbage, & Potato Recipe with Horseradish Sauce

Tonight we fixed corned beef in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, and onions.  I then fixed cooked cabbage in beer and a horseradish sauce to go over the beef.  It was really good.  As my husband said tonight, "Sometimes corned beef can be very bland, but the sauce added the extra flavor to make this dish delicious!"



For the corned beef:

2 cups water
2 large onions chopped
3 large potatoes cut into fairly small chunks
1/2 bag of carrots
3lb corned beef brisket & seasoning packet

I placed the potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot, then put in the onions and carrots.  I then placed the brisket on top, poured the water over, and then sprinkled the seasoning packet over everything.  I cooked the corned beef on high for 6 hours. 



While the aroma of food filled my house, I prepared the sauce to go on top of the beef.  I used Elton Brown's recipe, but subsituted white wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar.

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup horseradish
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
ground pepper to taste

The sauce needs to sit and get happy overnight, or for at least 4 hours.  This sauce was so yummy!  It did make the meal!

When the corned beef was finished cooking, I chopped 1 head of cabbage into bite size pieces.  I placed it all in a pot on the stove, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and poured a dark ale over it.  I let the cabbage cook for about 10 minutes on medium high.  You can cook the cabbage as long as you want and to whatever consistancy you would like, so times may vary.  Once the cabbage was done, I sliced the corned beef, and plated everyone's food.  My 22 month old LOVED the sauce, even thought it was spicey!  My 7 and 5 year old ate the food, but did not want to eat anything that had "yucky beer" on it!     


No comments: