Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 Goals

I would like to share my goals for 2011 in hopes that I continue to stay motivated as the year progresses.  I will explain each goal and the reason for having it...
 


1. "To live like no one else, so later we can live like no one else." - Dave Ramsey

I am in love with Dave Ramsey.  I listen to his radio show and just can't get enough!  My husband and I went through Financial Peace University a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  We want to continue following the steps...I think this is a goal that we have every year. 

2. To spend 10 minutes of quality time with each child either by reading, play, snuggles or listening to them ramble on and on!

My husband and I have 4 children and I think it is really important to have one on one time with them each and every day.  Since we have a newborn, it is difficult finding time to focus just on one kid.  My husband and I snuggle our 7 and 5 year old every night after we read books.  This is sometimes the best part of my day.  I'm laying there with one of my kids, listening to them talk about their friends, their day at school, etc.  I seem to find lots of time to spend with the baby and my toddler, since they are both still very needy at this stage in their life.

3. Go to the beach.

The beach is one of my favorite places on earth.  My husband and I have been to several different beaches over the years, but we really enjoy going to Holden Beach.  There is absolutely nothing to do there except relax.  There are very few, if any, restaurants around.  When we go to the beach we go to escape from everyday life and enjoy the peace that this little island brings.

4. Read at least 5... books (I hate reading!)

As I said, I hate to read.  I have never enjoyed ready unless it is a magazine or a kids book.  I have recently found a series of books that I really love.  They are the Janet Evonovich, Stephanie Plum series.  I know that reading is good for the mind and body, so I'm going to set a goal of reading at least 5 books this year.  Last week I checked out a book called QBQ.  It was recommended by Dave Ramsey.  I have enjoyed reading it so far.  The book QBQ, The Question Behind the Question by John Miller, talks about personal accountability.  I would definetly recommend this book.  I want to take it to my husband's place of employment and have his coworkers read it!  :)
 
5. Motivate my husband to go back to school- only 4 semesters left.

My husband took a break from school his junior year and is still enjoying his break!  I want to motivate him to complete his college education, now that I'm done with mine!

6. Make a buget and stick to it.

I need to get better about budgeting and sticking to it!  I want to go back to the envelope system for gas, groceries, eating out, etc.  I feel that we did so well with our $$$ then, so I hope to motivate myself to go back to that....

7. Make a menu and shop every other week.

As I have said before, my husband and I started grocery shopping every other week many years ago.  We have gone away from this after having four kids, so my goal is to get back in the routine of every other week.  We usually make out a menu with 14 meals, list the items we need, and clip our coupons.  We usually budget $160 for groceries every other week.  Our grocery budget also includes diapers, paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo, baby wipes, trash bags, etc.  On the weeks we don't go shopping we usually spent $20 on items we run out of like milk, cheese, juice, etc. 

8. Continue my christian walk in life and try to be a better person this year.

My husband and I have found a church that we love!  I grew up Presbyterian, but have switched over to a non-demonminational church.  It is wonderful, I can't say enough about it!  This church is very service oriented, the people are great, the service is contemporary, and you get to wear jeans!  I have not been going to church like I should since our youngest was born.  My husband works for the rescue squad in town and works many Sundays and I just can't seem to find the energy to take a 3 month old, 1 year old, and my other two, to church by myself.  My hope is that over the next few months I get back into the routine.  I also want to read some spritual books to help guide me over the next year.  Any suggestions?

9. Get in touch with Ali.

I have lost touch with one of my best friends from childhood.  We both live in the same town, but we both are very busy with children.  I hope that we can find time to catch up over the next year.

10. Continue making "adult" friends and maintain my childhood friendships.

I was 19 when I had my first child.  Many of my friends at that time were in college partying, dating, etc.  Many of my friends still live that life, so my husband and I have been on the search for adult friends.  We have made some great friends over the last year and hope that we continue to meet more adult couples this year. 

That's it! :) I hope I can accomplish it!  I would love to hear what your goals are for 2011!  Please share.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, your goals sound really good but i hope you want to re-connect with other friends that are still in the area like Amy, and I would like to consider myself an adult who is in a serious relationship and those partying days are gone (don't really have the time or money :) and have more serious things to take care of now. Reading is a great idea I am also trying to read more especially since im done with school and can actually read what I want to. I don't know the author you mention or what kind of genre it is in but I like suspense so if you like them too you should definitely look into James Patterson he has some really good books he wrote Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider that you know as movies. Well I really hope you are able to accomplish all your goals. What church are you going to now?? Whats the envelope system that you said you used to use.

Rebecca said...

We have started attending New Horizons Church next near Food Lion. We just love it!

Yes, I would love to see Amy sometime. Maybe when you come into town.

CONGRATS on getting your masters degree. I'm so proud of you!

Janet Evonevich books are about a bounty hunter, it's a great series. I bet you would enjoy them.

Check out Dave Ramsey: www.daveramsey.com You can read on his website about the baby steps to becoming debt free. He suggest budgeting and using envelopes for the money that you budget for gas, food, etc. and if you run out of money, you have to borrow from another envelope. It's kind of fun to pay in cash! :) You can go under forms and print out a budget form to get started on your debt free journey! He also has a radio show that is great to listen to!