Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cinnamon Baked French Toast



Since I got my bread maker for Christmas, I have continued to make sourdough bread a few times each week.  I got a started from a family friend and my mason jar will overflow if I don't do something with the starter.  I continue to search for things to do with my sourdough bread, since my family is getting tired of eating it!  I have made Sourdough French Toast the Cracker Barrel way, I have thought of making my own croutons, given loaves away, but last night I came across this wonderful recipe on Pioneer Woman for Cinnamon Baked French Toast. 

This is a very simple recipe and you can even make it the night before. 

How to make:

1 Loaf Sourdough
8 Eggs
2 1/2 cups Whole Milk
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla

Cut or rip the bread and place into a 9 x13 greased dish.  Then in a bowl mix the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla.  Pour over the bread.  If you want to add fresh fruit to the dish, this is the time to do it.  Then place plastic wrap over the dish and put in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Next you need to make the streusel topping.  You can make this the night before and store in the refrigerator or you can make right before it goes in the oven.  Mix the follwing ingredients together:

1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Stick Cold Butter, Cut Into Pieces

Place the mixed ingredients on top of the sourdough and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Scoup out individual servings and serve with butter, maple syrup, and sprinkled powder sugar!  Enjoy!

No comments: