Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Childhood Favorite: Grilled Cheese

We ate grilled cheese a lot growing up.  I have fond memories of my parents fixing grilled cheese and tomato soup after church on Sundays.  We would sit around the table in the kitchen and enjoy our lunch together!  But, one thing I do remember is that my mom does not fix grilled cheese sandwiches like my grandmother, Ma, used to fix.  Here is Ma's unbeatable grilled cheese:


Mayonnaise
Two Slices of Bread
1 American Cheese
Butter

Heat a cast iron skillet (Ma always fixed it in that, but I dont' always) on medium heat.  Place a small amount of butter in the skillet to melt.  Spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.  Lay the slice, mayonnaise side down, in the skillet, add a slice of American Cheese, and then place the other slice of bread on top- with mayonnaise side up.  Let it cook for a minute before flipping.  You may cook each side longer, depending on how brown you like your sandwich! 

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

No comments: