Sunday, August 7, 2011

House Rules & Consequences

Yesterday I decided that our family needed to write down our basic house rules and then consequences for not following them.  Alex (my 8 year old daughter) and Owen (my 5 year old son) have been having a difficult time following our house rules, so I decided we needed to have written consequences for their actions. 


We have already used the consequences today!  Owen decided to yell and stomp off, so he had to sit in the corner, on the landing of the steps for 10 minutes.  Owen then decided to yell more, so he had 5 more minutes tacked on!  I set the timer on the stove, so he would hear when his time was up!  I have thought about using a reward system, like a marble jar and every time the kids do something good or have an excellent day, they get a marble and when they have trouble listening, I take a marble out of their jar.  When the jar is full, they get to do something fun, like date night with Daddy or Mommy, stay up late, or have a friend spend the night.  If the list of consequences do not work, we may move to that! 

While I was in the list making mood, I decided to go ahead a make a checklist for this school year.  I want Owen and Alex to be as independent as possible in the mornings.  I want them to take care of themselves as much as possible before school, without me standing over them saying, "Did you make your bed?  Did you brush your teeth?"  I wanted to help them remember the usual things they need to accomplish before leaving for school, so we can have less chaotic mornings! 


Do you have something like this for your children?  Does it help?  I would love to hear from you!

No comments: